Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre
Originally opened as the Royale Theatre on January 11, 1927, the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre was designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp. The interior was designed by Roman Melzer, Czar Nicholas II of Russia's architect. The real estate magnate Chanin Brothers opened a three-theatre complex including the Royale, the Majestic, and the Theatre Masque (now the John Golden). The Royale was designed in what the Canins and Krapp dubbed "Spanish modern" style, with two murals by Hungarian artist Willy Pogany in the mezzanine entitled "Spanish lovers". In 1930, the Chanin brothers transferred the management of the Royale to the Shuberts. Operettas, musicals, and dramas, including Diamond Lil, written by and starring Mae West, were shown in the early years of the Royale. John Golden leased and renamed it the John Golden Theatre in 1934. The Shuberts reverted to the original name in 1936, and subsequently leased the venue to CBS Radio until 1940. The theater was renamed for longtime Shubert Organization president Bernard B. Jacobs in 2005.
Backstory and Context
"Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre." Internet Broadway Database. Accessed Web, 5/6/17. https://www.ibdb.com/theatre/bernard-b-jacobs-theatre-1346.