Cabrillo National Monument
Backstory and Context
In 1913 President Woodrow Wilson reserved half an acre to construct a monument honoring Cabrillo. A statue was created but it never shipped to San Diego. In 1939, the Portuguese government made a new sandstone statue and donated it to the United States. However, it was put into storage as California had nowhere to display it. Finally, in 1949, the Cabrillo monument was finally installed on its current location. A new limestone statue was eventually created since the original deteriorated after due to its exposure to harsh weather. This statue still stands today.
The Point Loma Lighthouse sits on top of a high ocean crest which rises 422 ft. above sea level. The U.S Coastal Guard found this to be a suitable location and decided to build the lighthouse in 1854. However, the lighthouse was in operation for only 36 years because fog often blocked the light from extending far out to see. As a result, in 1891 the lighthouse was relocated to a new location.