Pee Dee Avenue Historic District
This residential section of Abermarle was designated as a historic district by the administrators of the National Register of Historic Places in 1998 owing to its concentration of homes built between 1891 and 1947 that demonstrate historically significant architecture. The homes can be viewed by walking along Pee Dee Avenue from the 400 block to the 1200 block. Information about each of the homes can be found by clicking on the link to the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form.
Backstory and Context
The avenue is named in honor of the river that begins in Stanly County's southeastern corner at the convergence of the Yadkin and Rocky Rivers. Many of the homes were construted by local contractor J. C. Holbrook and David Augustus Holbrook, who also maintained a home on this street that is one of the notable houses in the district at 521 Pee Dee Avenue. The Brown-Parker House at 427 Pee Dee Avenue is the oldest home in the historic district. This Queen-Anne style frame home was built for local attorney James Milton Brown was completed in 1891.
Pee Dee Avenue Historic District, National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, 1997, http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/nr/ST0567.pdf