Francis L. Cardozo Senior High School
A view of the school in 2014, post-renovation ((By Allan F (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons))
Backstory and Context
The school that became Central High School had its origins in what was known as the Advanced Grammar School for Boys in 1876. As the school grew, newer accommodations were needed, and over the years, what was the Advanced Grammar School for Boys slowly changed locations, became a coed school, and eventually became Washington High School. Even after the move to the new building and the rebranding, however, the school continued to grow further, and it became increasingly crowded. In 1890, Washington High School split into several adjunct high schools, one of which became Central High School. Central High School prospered in the coming years, and like its predecessors, it became overcrowded in the early 1900s. A new building was commissioned to be constructed by architect William B. Ittner in 1912, and it was not until 1916 that the planning, funding, and construction required for the building was all completed.
In 1950, it was decided that Central High School would be effectively changed, and Central High School closed down on June 13th, 1950. Cardozo High School then took up residence in the Central High School building. Cardozo continued to serve the Washington, DC area for years to come, and on September 30th, 1993, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The school underwent extensive renovations in late 2011 and re-opened for use in 2013. The school continues to operate and is now known as the Cardozo Education Campus.