Camp Mabry- Historical Marker
Originally established as encampments for the Texas Volunteer Guard in 1876, Camp Mabry has served multiple purposes through the years. The camp also acted as a campsite for the US Army during the First World War and as an ordnance engine rebuild station during World War II. Today, Camp Mabry is the location for the headquarters of the Texas Military Forces and the Texas Military Forces Museum. Camp Mabry has also housed a weather station since 1898. The training command of the Texas Rangers was held here until 1953.
Backstory and Context