Forsyth Park fountain remains one of the most photographed places in all of Savannah.
Fountain in the Park at night.
Walkway in the Park.
Backstory and Context
One of the oldest urban parks in America, Forsyth Park dates back to the 1840s with the donation of ten acres of land William Hodgson. Georgia Governor John Forsyth later added a donation of additional land to be added to the park, which was dedicated in 1851. At that time, the park was named "Forsyth Park" and became one of the leading social and recreational areas of the city.
One of the highlights of the park is the fountain at the north end of the park. At this location, French commander Comte D'Estaing ordered his men to dig siege trenches. The commander hoped to create a network of trenches northward towards the British earthworks, but his plan was not completed.
During the 1850s, those who designed the city park took inspiration from the French and their urban renewal efforts in Paris. City planners hoped Forsyth Park would be a center of community life and increase the city's reputation. The historic fountain was completed in 1858 and designed to rival the fountains found in Paris and Peru. In honor of St. Patrick's Day, the water in the fountain is dyed green each year on March 17. Today, the park has many beautiful walking paths and a garden. In recent years, community members have discussed the meaning of the park's Confederate monument, with some believing that it should be removed.
"Forsyth Park. Visit Historic Savannah." Accessed December 12, 2015. http://visithistoricsavannah.com/forsyth-park.