Constructed in 1926, the Grand Concourse is a striking Mediterranean Revival style building that was once part of a grand development plan to build six hotels and apartments. Envisioned by the Shoreland Construction Company, which was lead by a developer named Hugh Anderson, the plan outlined the construction of a self-contained community complete with shops, a railroad station, sidewalks, and other amenities. Designed by architect Robert Law Reed, the Grand Concourse was the only building to be constructed and as such is a physical reminder of the plan that was thwarted by a devastating hurricane in 1926. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
Backstory and Context
Marty Stofik & Michael Zimny. "Grand Concourse Apartments." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. December 2, 1985. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/b88a80a0-10d5-4cec-b2be-e4200e9affc5.