The Willis B. Powell Building was completed from 1913-1914 and housed the offices and printing plant of Powells' newspaper, the St. Petersburg Independent. Powell established the newspaper in 1906, making it the first daily in Clearwater-St. Petersburg. The building was also home to the Clearwater Daily Sun-later the Evening Sun. Powell sold the Sun in 1916, declaring that he intended to take an automobile tour of the United States and return as a "free lance." The building was acquired in 2012 by the city of Clearwater as part of their effort to restore and operate the Capitol Theatre.
Backstory and Context