Clio Logo

The Noriega House is a 4,400 square foot Queen Ann Cottage built in 1900 on the corner of Baker and Oregon Streets. This historic landmark was built by a Basque immigrant, Faustino Mier Noriega. Faustino lived in this home with his wife and five children. Faustino died in 1922 but his family continued living there up until 1997, when the house was sold. The house was not able to be restored as a home, so in order to be saved it had to be used for commercial purposes only. The house is now a wedding/party venue that has hosted many gatherings and weddings.


  • Outside of Noriega House
  • "The Celebration Room" inside the house
  • Inside of the Queen Anne Room
  • Scrapbook of historical information about the house
  • Scrapbook of historical information about the house
  • Front of the Noriega House
  • Bar/Lounge area outside of the Noriega House
  • Inside of the Lounge/Bar
  • Outside of Noriega House
  • "The Celebration Room" inside the house
  • Inside of the Queen Anne Room
  • Scrapbook of historical information about the house
  • Scrapbook of historical information about the house
  • Front of the Noriega House
  • Bar/Lounge area outside of the Noriega House
  • Inside of the Lounge/Bar

In 1872, a teenager by the name of Faustino Mier came to the United States from the northern coast of Spain. He sailed into San Francisco and immigrated to Tulare County. There he worked for his uncle, Vincente Noriega and took his uncle’s last name.  While working with his uncle, Faustino Noriega gained the knowledge of a businessman.

In 1893, he became a successful businessman and partnered with an immigrant named Fernando Etcheverry and together they opened the Iberia Hotel (Noriega Hotel). That same year, Faustino married Louisa Inda on the 14th of February and soon after they started a family. In 1900, the Noriega family built the Noriega House in Old Town Kern of Bakersfield. It’s located on Baker Street and the cost to build was a total of $1,286.10. There they raised five children: Marcellena, Julia, Christina, Frank and Albert. At age 23, Julia died in the home, due to an illness.

The Noriega House was considered a lavish house, which is a 4,400 square foot Queen Anne Cottage.  The house was constructed of wood and sandstone bricks. It has six chimneys and two porch entrances. The Noriega House has a root cellar that is still in use today. It still possesses the historic doors and windows that dominated classical homes during its architectural period.   

In 2007, The Tackitt Family bought the Noriega House. The Tackitts continued to make repairs to the inside of the house by adding carpet, furniture, and draping. A black and white dance floor was installed in the backyard of the house.

The Noriega House has been restored as a beautiful and warming venue. It has a touch of the past and present inside and out. The Noriega House is celebrated in all sorts of ways; weddings, graduations, and parties of all kinds. Megan Tackitt has continued to make the historic landmark a noticeable place in the great city of Bakersfield.

Noriega House. Accessed October 14, 2016. http://noriegahouse.com/.

Noriega House Promo Video. Youtube. February 25, 2011. Accessed November 03, 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6vh9rbpouw.

Scrapbook of Information About Noriega House. Accessed October 14, 2016. (This scrapbook is accessible to guests that request information about the Faustino family)

0