Midland Terminal Railroad Roundhouse
Now the home to upscale retail shops and other businesses, the Midland Terminal Railroad Roundhouse was built in 1888-1889 by the Colorado Midland Railroad to facilitate the hauling of freight, much of which came from the mining industry. Though of course it is no longer used for its original purpose, the roundhouse was well constructed and is an important symbol of the time period in which it was built and used. For these reasons the roundhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Backstory and Context
Stevenson, Kenneth. "Midland Terminal Railroad Roundhouse." National Park Service -National Register of Historic Places. July 10, 1979. http://focus.nps.gov/GetAsset?assetID=ca0ca787-afb0-4b28-919d-a05a0d29ca48.