Clio Logo

The Hammond Fire Brick Company was a factory based out of the no longer existent town of Hammond on a stretch of the Tygart River in West Virginia. Remnants of the Hammond Fire Brick Company are visible today. However, structures do not remain; only small furnaces and bricks.

The Hammond Fire Brick Company began at the turn of the century. Records of the town seem to have disappeared from government files. By the 1940s, the factory was turning out over a thousand bricks a day. The town of Hammond developed as a direct result of the brick company's presence. The town of Hammond housed the brick workers and provided a school for children.

In 1950, the factory was destroyed by fire. In 1972 a mining company bought out Hammond Fire Brick Company and destroyed all the buildings and blocked off public access. Today, little physical evidence of the Brick Company remains.