The Pentagon Barracks is named as such for its four, two-story barracks built between 1819-1825 arranged in the shape of a pentagon. Since the early 18th century, the site had long been a strategic military location, protecting the city of Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and access to the rest of the Mississippi River to the north. Today the barracks are home to the Lieutenant Governor of Louisiana and private apartments for state legislators. They were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Backstory and Context
The U.S. took over control of the fort and held onto to it until the Civil War in 1861, when the Confederacy seized control. This didn't last long. A year later Union forces recaptured the fort and did not relinquish control for the duration of the war. In 1886, the federal government transferred use and then ownership to the Louisiana State University in 1884 and 1886, respectively. The state acquired the site and the barracks in 1951.
"Pentagon Barracks." State of Louisiana: Virtual Tour. Accessed December 23, 2016. http://house.louisiana.gov/pubinfo/VirtualTour/pentagon_barracks.htm.