1883 Baptist Church
Backstory and Context
Baptists were among the earliest settlers in Cheney. Newspaper records show that members were meeting in homes in 1881.The Northwest Tribune of August 11, 1882 reported that
Rev. D.W.C. Britt and Rev. F.P. Davidson are taking steps to build a new Protestant Church [Baptist] on lots they bought the last spring. The building is to be 26x44 with vestibule in front. Citizens are subscribing liberally.The Baptist church was located at the NW corner of 3rd & D Streets. The church was dedicated on March 4, 1883.
On October 21 & 22 of 1884, the first meeting of the Spokane County Sunday School Association was held in Cheney. The Rev. George Campbell, a Baptist of Spangle, was elected its first President.
On January 27 1885, a concert was given at Griswold's hall, with the proceeds going towards paying for new seats in the Baptist Church.
The Baptist Church was demolished in the early teens as its membership declined.