Established in 1849, the Lexington Cemetery was Kentucky’s first “rural,” or parklike, cemetery. Originally only forty acres, the 170-acre property now features an arboretum and two large lakes. During the Civil War, a small lot for soldiers was set aside within the cemetery. In 1863, this lot became a national cemetery; this soldiers’ section later closed to burials in 1939. Other notable parts of the cemetery include the Romanesque gatehouse near the entrance, which replaced an earlier version in 1890, and a memorial to Congressman Henry Clay erected in 1857. The Lexington Cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.