Linoma Beach Lighthouse/Recreation area
Linoma Beach recreation area was established in 1924. This popular area offered travelers swimming, fishing, boating, restaurant dining dancing and overnight camping. Halfway between Omaha and Lincoln on the old LIncoln HIghway, Linoma welcomed early travelers, and even had its own railway stop. In 1933 an 80-foot Lighthouse, housing a full service filling station was added. Very little has changed on this property. These facilities are open to travelers today.
Backstory and Context
The area was so popular that a train stop, from the Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy railroad, was negotiated. Visitors from Lincoln, Omaha, and Ashland could ride the train to Linoma. The trains ran on the weekends.
Althought the train no longer stops, seasonal rental spaces and overnight camping is available, as are swimming, fishing and boating. The lighthouse acts as a landmark, guiding travelers to a quiet spot, along the Platte River; a perfect place for a camper have a meal or to spend the night.
The Ashland Gazzette