Clio Logo

Named in honor of Edwin R. Westcott by his wife Helen Westcott. From its building year in 1895 to its demolition in 1988, the building was used as the campus store and Print Shop, and was later transformed for use by the maintenance department.


  • Photo taken of the exterior of the Westcott Building.
  • Photo taken of the interior of the Print Shop located in Westcott Building.
  • Photo taken of the interior of the school store located in Westcott Building.
  • Page one of  a letter from Helen Westcott to the Trustees of Park College regarding her husband Edwin R. Westcott’s death and her wish to put aside money for her son to attend Park. December 31, 1894
  • Page two of a letter from Helen Westcott to the Trustees of Park College regarding her husband Edwin R. Westcott’s death and her wish to put aside money for her son to attend Park. December 31, 1894
  • The first page of a letter sent from Helen Westcott to H. B. McAfee stating she will send the five-hundred dollar scholarship to Park and is willing to lift the amount if her son decides to attend the college. February 16, 1895
  • Page one of a letter from Helen Westcott to H. B. McAfee regarding the money she’s sending and her thankfulness for Park’s work. April 1, 1898
  • Page two of a letter from Helen Westcott to H. B. McAfee regarding the money she’s sending and her thankfulness for Park’s work. April 1, 1898
  • Page three of a letter from Helen Westcott to H. B. McAfee regarding the money she’s sending and her thankfulness for Park’s work. April 1, 1898

The Westcott Building was named after Edwin R. Westcott. After Edwin Westcott passed away, his wife, Helen, sent a donation to Park University as they admired the educational work Park had been doing. In one of the many letters Helen sent to Park, she stated, “[...] my object for the money is to do the greatest amount of good it can” (dated February 16, 1895). Helen Westcott gave a five hundred dollar scholarship to Park University. Helen requested a building to be named after Edwin as a remembrance.

The building was constructed in 1895 for use by Park University. The architecture of the building was industrial with a brick siding covering the front and stone siding along the sides, multiple half-rounded windows, and a flat rooftop. The Print Shop and campus store were located inside the Westcott Building until 1950 when a new print shop opened in downtown Parkville, Missouri. Later, the Westcott Building was converted to be used by the maintenance department for the few years it had left. The Westcott Building was demolished in 1988. Currently, the lot where the building once stood is now home to Park University’s Julian Soccer Field.

Westcott Records. The Park Building Collection. Fishburn Archive and Special Collections. Park University, Parkville, MO. 
0