Old Fire House, Engine 22
This firehouse was first built in 1898 and is the oldest in the Inner Sunset area. Sat on tenth avenue between Irving and Judah, the building has been in continuous for the last 117 years. The building has been used by two separate fire companies, a school, and is currently in use as a publishing house. The building was designed by architect Charles R. Wilson, the man who also designed several other buildings in San Francisco including the Empress and Windsor hotels in the Tenderloin.
Backstory and Context
The building remained as a school hour until 2008 when they sold the building to Ignatius Press, a Catholic publishing company. After it moving, Ignatius Press significantly remodeled the building, adding a mezzanine level and refurbishing the basement with an exercise room and a guest room. Today, the publishing company employs around 15 people.
San Francisco Landmark #29 Engine Company No. 22. Noe Hill. Accessed April 30, 2017. http://noehill.com/sf/landmarks/sf029.asp.