Old Queens Rutgers University
Now serving as the main administration building, Old Queens is the oldest building on Rutgers' historic campus. Designed by architect John McComb in the Federal style, it was constructed between 1809-1823 (it could not be completed right away due to lack of funds). McComb was well known in New York City at the time, having designed New York City Hall, the Montauk Lighthouse, located on the eastern end of Long Island, and other landmarks. Old Queens is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark.
The Old Queens building is the oldest structure on campus and houses administrative offices.
Backstory and Context
Rutgers was founded in 1766 as Queens College, named after the queen consort (Charlotte, the daughter of a German duke) to King George III. During the initial period of the institution's history, the college actually housed the college itself, a grammar school (now Rutgers Preparatory), and the New Brunswick Theological Seminary. Eventually, the grammar school and seminary moved elsewhere. The college's name was changed in 1825 after Revolutionary War hero and philanthropist Colonel Henry Rutgers who donated funds to the college.
Pitts, Carolyn. "Old Queens Building, Rutgers University." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. May 11, 1976. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/d5c46f39-47ee-458e-9692-048a3f6b9fc9.