Harvey County Historical Museum & Archives
Founded in 1907, the Harvey County Historical Museum & Archives is dedicated to preserving the history of Newton and the county. It is located in the historic former Carnegie Library building, which was constructed in 1903 thanks to a generous donation from wealthy philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, who had made numerous similar donations around the country in the early 20th century. The museum features both permanent and rotating exhibits. One permanent exhibit explores the history of the Harvey County Courthouse, which features artifacts, photographs, and stories about the courthouse, and a recreated one-room schoolhouse. There is also a library and archives which contains numerous records for those interested in conducting research.
Backstory and Context
Pankratz, Richard. "Harvey County Historical Library and Museum." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. May 31, 1974. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/51e03f78-d90e-4437-8aff-5f36f426ebd8.