Sacramento Valley Station, Formerly the Southern Pacific Depot
Sacramento's history is inseparable from the history of the railroad as the city served as the western terminus of the Trans-Continental Railroad. This depot was completed in 1926.
The area where the Southern Pacific Railroad depot now stands was home to a slum known as the China Slough prior to a systematic effort to remove these immigrants in the early 1900s.
Backstory and Context
Years of dumping and neglect turned the area into an unsanitary, hazardous area. The city's white residents shunned the area and because of the racism which was prevalent at the time, the Chinese of Sacramento were relegated to building their homes there. Consequently, the area was referred to pejoratively as China Slough.
After years of complaints from residents, and concerns that the area made an unwelcoming entrance to the city, in 1909, the city forced the Chinese out of the area. In 1909, the railroad began dredging sand from the American River and filling in the swampy area. The remains of China Slough were buried and a new railroad was built. There is no marker to recognize the existence of China Slough, but the depot that now stands on the site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.