McDaniel Building, 346 South Grant Street
Many grocery stores have operated from this location since its first occupant, McDaniel and Ruffin, opened a mercantile here after the Civil War. Economy Clothing Company and other dry goods businesses were located here in the 1890-1910 period. In 1915, Union Trust Company, organized in 1913 by J. H. Staley, manager of the McDaniel Milling Company, opened at this address catering to farmers, agricultural interests and other small businesses. Late in 1931 the Bank of Carthage took over Union Trust assets. In subsequent years, various stores have occupied the first floor, while offices have occupied the second floor. Recently, the second floor was converted to apartment use.
Vandergriff, Sue. Then & Now. Carthage MO: author, 2003.