Auburn University Chapel
Built in 1850, Auburn University Chapel is the university's oldest building on its original location and is among the oldest structures in the campus. Plantation owner and architect Edwin Reese designed and built the church for his Presbyterian congregation, which had recently been established. Its original design was Greek Revival but it was converted to the Gothic style in 1900. Today, the chapel, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is an interdenominational and multipurpose building. As such, it can be rented for weddings and other events. Visitors are also welcome to meditate and pray during the week.
Backstory and Context
Photo: Rivers A. Langley, via Wikimedia Commons