Gift of the Pioneer Class of 1871 Memorial
The Massachusetts Agricultural College Pioneer Class of 1871 planted the first set of trees on the college campus on April 29, 1869, during their sophomore year. In 1912 a stone memorial was dedicated with much fanfare. The 27 elms were the first of many subsequent class gifts given to the college in the form of trees. The monument was placed in front of South College and is no longer there.
UMass Special Collections: Physical Plant: Subject Files other than spec. blds. or parts of campus, 36/50.