Heritage Hall Chapel
Built in 1875, Heritage Hall is one of two original buildings constructed in Lakeside. For 25 years, Lakeside Chapel served as the home for the Marblehead Peninsula Methodist Episcopal Church congregation. Today, the Lakeside Heritage Society operates Heritage Hall Museum out of this building to fulfill their mission to preserve the history of Lakeside Chautauqua and the Danbury Peninsula.
Backstory and Context
During the period from 1900 to 1952, the original wood-frame Lakeside Chapel was known as the Ladies’ Aid Hall.
It was operated by the Methodist Church women and used for Sunday School classes, church meetings and social events. Once the new church building at Fifth Street and Central Avenue was completed with space for meetings, the church sold the Ladies’ Aid Hall to the Lakeside Association and it was renamed Fellowship Hall.
Fellowship Hall continued to be used for community meetings and events. As the building deteriorated in the 1960s, it was used by Lakeside for storage. By 1968, the Lakeside Association Board decided to raze the building due to its deteriorated condition. Rather than see the historic Lakeside Chapel torn down, a group of history-minded Lakesiders formed the Lakeside Heritage Club, Inc. (now the Lakeside Heritage Society, Inc.) in 1968 to save the building. Based on an agreement with the Lakeside Association Board, the new Heritage Society repaired the building and opened it as a museum in 1969. The Heritage Hall Museum has increased its displays over the past 45+ years and developed activities for children while not charging admission fees.