Carrie Chapman Catt House (Juniper Ledge)
Suffragist Carrie Chapman Catt lived in the home known as Juniper Ridge from 1919 to 1928. After years of frenetic activity, Catt moved to the home after passage of the Nineteenth Amendment along with her partner, Mary Garrett "Mollie" Hay. The house offered solitude and an escape from the pressures of public life, although Catt continued to be active after moving there. Because of its connection of Catt, the home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context
Eventually Catt and her husband moved to New York City, where she became involved with the National American Woman Suffrage Association (NAWSA). Catt twice served as the organization's president; she ended her first term early to care for her ailing husband. Later, following the death of her husband, Catt returned to her leadership of NAWSA.
These were busy years for Catt, and after the death of her husband and passage of the Eighteenth Amendment, she hoped to find a quiet home and a slower pace of life. She purchased a home named Juniper Ledge by its previous owners. The home was built in around 1910 and was situated on sixteen sloping, hilly acres.
Catt moved into the home with her partner, Mary Garrett "Mollie" Hay. Although Catt initially had no interest in farming the land, she and Hay soon began planting both flower and vegetable gardens on the property. Catt, who was also a supporter of Prohibition, reportedly once told guests at the property that she bought it so that its many juniper berries would never be used in the production of alcohol.
Catt's years at Juniper Ledge were busy ones, and she often held meetings of the League of Women Voters, which she founded, there. She also planted trees on the property in honor of other suffragists. Although she was happy at the property, Catt eventually found that living in Briarcliff Manor put her too far away from New York City, and in 1927, she bought a home in New Rochelle to be closer to her political activities.
The home is still a private residence. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.