Mount Rainer National Park
Mount Rainer is 14,000 feet tall and is named after British Rear Admiral Peter Rainer.
The Henry M Jackson Memorial Visitor Center was built in 2008 and is located on Mount Rainer's south slope.
Interior view of the Henry M. Jackson Memorial Visitor Center.
Backstory and Context
Archaeological evidence indicates that humans first appeared in the area 9,000 years ago. The first European to record seeing Mount Rainer was Captain George Vancouver in 1792, who was surveying the Pacific Coast. He was the one who gave the volcano its name, naming it after his friend Rear Admiral Peter Rainer. Future explorers and settlers would encounter the Muckleshoot, Nisqually, Yakama, Puyallup, Squaxin Island, and Cowlitz tribes.
The first known attempt to climb Rainer occurred in 1870. Other climbs were attempted and many still make the attempt each year. In 1883, one of these climbers found a spring on the way down, which gave him the idea of building a hotel and spa. This marked the beginning of the park's tourist industry.
The entire park is a National Historic Landmark district. It includes four national landmarks and 42 buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places (see link below). The park is a national landmark for the architecture of the well-preserved buildings within it, which were designed in a style developed by the National Park Service, and for the fact that master planning of national parks began here in the 1920s. The park's plan, which was completed by 1931, became the model for other national parks.
Stephanie Toothman, Susan Begley, and Ethan Carr. "Mount Rainier National Park." National Park Service - National Historic Landmark Nomination Form. September 14, 1996.
- Mount Rainier: National Park Service
- The Henry M Jackson Memorial Visitor Center: Wikimedia Commons