Barbour County Courthouse
This historic courthouse was constructed between 1903 and 1905 and features the Richardsonian Romanesque style of architecture. The building reflects the growth of the region at the turn-of-the-century and the desire of residents to construct an impressive symbol of the county government and their ambition to make Philippi one of the leading communities in the region. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Backstory and Context
A restoration effort began in 1995 and included the repair and replacement of the stained glass interior dome. This project was named Best Interior Rehabilitation Project in 1999 by the Main Street Project of the West Virginia Development Office.