Mill Houses on Lowell Street
The Methuen Company was bought in 1864 by David Nevins. It qudrupled in size in the years between 1870 and 1881. Housing was needed for mill operatives, and by the 1870s, double houses, which can be seen on the 1884 map, lined Pine Street on both sides. Individual houses, such as 23 Lowell Street, built sometime before 1872, were also a part of the mill housing stock. This house was owned by David Nevins in 1872 and by the Methuen Company in 1884 and 1896. A permit was issued in 1972 to add a Beauty Parlor and make offices on the second floor. The street front addition appears to predate this. Description courtesy of Dan Gagnon, Methuen city historian.