New Castle Historical Society
The Dutch House was built in the late 17th century.
The Amstel House was constructed in the early 1730s by Dr. John Finley, the town's wealthiest landowner at the time. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1892, the Old Library Museum is used for the Society's exhibits.
Backstory and Context
Initially founded in 1934 to save the Amstel House, this historical society includes three buildings within New Castle, including the Amstel House, the Dutch House, which was turned over by the Society for the Preservation of Antiquities in 1946, and the Old Library Museum, which was incorporated in 1980 in an agreement with Trustees of New Castle Common. All three buildings have their own place in New Castle’s history.Over the years, the New Castle Historical Society has offered a variety of lectures and exhibits on the history of New Castle. These include seminars on Italian-American and African American history, architecture throughout the town, and more. Visitors are encouraged to come see this area in order to get a better understanding of New Castle’s history and culture.
Photos: New Castle Historical Society