Pawtucket City Hall
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Pawtucket City Hall is one of the city's most recognizable landmarks. It was built in 1935 and designed by architect John F. O'Malley in the Art Deco style. The main body of the building is three stories tall and the tower reaches a height of 209 feet. It was the first and one of the largest state projects completed under the National Recovery Act of 1933, which established the public works programs of the New Deal initiative started by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The building holds further significance in that it was an early example of city hall where all city functions were located, which was a novel idea at the time. This consolidation of city departments into one building can be attributed to the mayor during the 1930s, Mayor Thomas P. McCoy, who earned the nickname "Boss" for his grip on power which lasted 22 years. Among his achievements was leading the effort to construct the new city hall building.
Backstory and Context
"Nomination Form: Pawtucket City Hall." National Register of Historic Places. November 18, 1983. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/20482802-2a30-4876-a987-e1d46c36c5bb.
Pawtucket City Hall: By Kenneth C. Zirkel - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28128656