Number 3 Schoolhouse (1873-1939)
The Number 3 Schoolhouse
Backstory and Context
The Number Three schoolhouse was built in 1873 and held its last class in 1939. It was then used for storage until the Triway Board of Education donated the schoolhouse to the Wayne County Historical Society of Ohio in 1964. The building was dismantled and rebuilt at is present location between 1964 and 1966. The society held a dedication ceremony for the schoolhouse on December 7, 1966.
Today, the schoolhouse has been restored to look as it might have in the 19th century. It features a reed pump organ, antique writing pens, early typewriters, and an 1856 map of Wayne County. The one-room schoolhouse is also available to rent for events. Recently, for example, the Wayne County Historical Society hosted Professor Virginia Gunn as she gave a lecture on the “Textiles and Lifestyles of the Downton Abbey Era.”
What’s Up? Events around Wayne, Holmes counties, April 3. The Daily Record. April 03, 2014. Accessed October 02, 2018. http://www.the-daily-record.com/lifestyle/20140403/whats-up-events-around-wayne-holmes-counties-april-3.