Albertus L. Meyers Bridge
The Albertus L. Meyers Bridge is a historic bridge in Allentown that spans Little Lehigh Creek. Constructed in 1913 by the Lehigh Valley Transit Company, which operated a streetcar and inter-urban transportation system, it connects the city's south and north sides. Upon completion, it was the world's largest and longest concrete bridge. As such, it is an early example of a steel and concrete structure. It is named after Albertus "Bert" Meyers, a local musician who conducted the Allentown Band, which was a nationally-known civilian concert band (it is still operating today). Meyers was a friend of John Philip Sousa and played cornet in Sousa's band. Meyers led the Allentown Band for 51 years.
"History." Allentown Band. Accessed October 20, 2018. http://www.allentownband.com/Heritage/history.html.
"South Eighth Street Viaduct, Spanning Little Lehigh Creek at Eighth Street." Library of Congress. Accessed October 20, 2018.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons