Opened in July 2012, the Newburgh Museum is dedicated to the preservation and promotion of the city's history. It is located on the first floor of the historic Old Newburgh Presbyterian Church, which was built in 1853 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The museum features permanent and changing exhibits that describe Newburgh's founding, its economic development, and the various changes it has undergone. Beginning in 1965, the church became the Newburgh Town Hall for several decades until it moved to its current location on Jennings Street.
Backstory and Context
Without firing a single shot, they confiscated supplies and ammunition. The town surrendered because residents thought the Confederates had cannons. This was not true, however; the force had fake ones made out of stovepipes set up across the river (this is how Johnson earned the nickname, Stovepipe). The local militia in Newburgh was quite small as well. Once Johnson had collected everything he wanted, he and his men returned to Kentucky. The raid shocked the Indiana leaders who quickly sent a force of Union soldiers to protect the town, which was never attacked again during the war.
Diaz, Sally. "Old Newburgh Presbyterian Church." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. May 23, 1978. https://secure.in.gov/apps/dnr/shaard/r/1ca59/N/Old_Newburgh_Presbyterian_Church_Warrick_CO_Nom.pdf.
"Raid History." Newburgh Museum. Accessed March 25, 2019. http://www.newburghmuseum.com/newburgh-remembers/raid-history.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons