George Washington Carver School
The former George Washington Carver School is historically significant for being the city's only school for African Americans from 1937, when it was built, until 1968 when the city finally integrated its schools. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the school is named after the famous botanist George Washington Carver, who dedicated it in a ceremony on November 12. The school replaced an older school, called North School, that was built in 1882 and became too small for the growing African-American community. It also did not have a furnace or bathrooms. As of early 2019, plans are being considered to convert the building into an affordable senior housing facility.
Backstory and Context
In 2013, a local organization, which was led by a former student, developed plans to revitalize the building into a cultural center. However, this plan was ultimately not viable due to the high costs of renovation (around $4 million). The organization—the George Washington Carver Cultural Center—decided to contact the senior housing company, which had converted a school in the city of Sedalia into a senior housing facility.
Wilbers, Helen. "Planning, progress underway at old George Washington Carver school." February 25, 2018. http://www.fultonsun.com/news/local/story/2018/feb/25/planning-progress-underway-old-george-washington-carver-school/714983.
Wilbers, Helen. "Senior housing proposed for carver School." Fulton Sun. January 26, 2019. http://www.fultonsun.com/news/local/story/2019/jan/26/senior-housing-proposed-carver-school/762899.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons