African Methodist Episcopal Church C. 1850, 275 Thames Street
Built sometime following 1848, a small church was built on Thames Street to support the growing black population of London.
Backstory and Context
In 1856, several AME churches in Ontario formed a separate body and renamed themselves as British Methodist Episcopal (BME). It is possible that John Brown may have spoken here in 1858 to gain support for his planned raid at Harper's Ferry.