Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church
Backstory and Context
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church has deep roots in the Youngstown area. The church was completed on November 4th, 1916, however, Catholicism in the Mahoning valley can trace its origins to decades in the past.
The first Italian immigrants came to the Youngstown area in the 1870’s. Came into the area in order to break strikes that were occurring in the local coal mines. This immigration laid the foundation for father Emmanuel Stabile to bring his congregation and begin work on Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church in 1908. The church was finished in 1916. However, tragedy struck the congregation in June of 1923. A fire of unknown origin ravages the interior of the church. The losses for the church included the interior of the building, as well as a Holkamp Pipe Organ that had been donated by Andrew Carnegie.
The church quickly came together in order to restore the building, and on December 16th, 1923, the Mount Carmel church reopened its doors. Our Lady of Mount Carmel continued to add new additions throughout the decades. In 1963 father Fabrizio completed construction on a new rectory, as well as a social hall that could be used to house classrooms. Fabrizio also completed a shrine garden in 1971 dedicated to Saint Anthony. In 1990 Monsignor Cariglio completed the construction of a 10-foot tall statue dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel. The most recent addition of the church came in 2001 when Carigilo constructed a tower to be used as an elevator to be more handicap accessible.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church still serves 1175 members of the Youngstown Catholic community. It stands as a monument to the history of the Catholic faith in the Youngstown area.
About Our Lady of Mount Carmel Basilica, http://olmcsta.com. Accessed September 25th 2019. http://olmcsta.com/about-our-parish/about-our-lady-of-mount-carmel-basilica/.
Simmons, David A. Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church . National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form . Published May 10th 1979. United States Department of the Interior .