308 Church Street (Farley-Sturdivant house) The Sears and Roebuck home
308 Church Street Sketch
308 Church Street
Backstory and Context
The house was built by J. Wesley Taylor of Mobile and sold to Mr. J. Pryor Farley on November 19, 1910. The Sturdivants bought the house on August 7, 1943 from Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Gatlin. The Sears and Roebuck home is in the Victorian style with a gable roof. The apex of the gables is carved fish scales and diamonds. The wrap-around porch has original gingerbread trim on engaged columns. The other columns were replaced with wrought iron and the original weatherboard was covered with asbestos singles.
Mr. and Mrs. Claude "Tiny" Sturdivant had two sons, Claude L. Sturdivant, Jr. and James G. Sturdivant. Mr. Sturdivant was the son of the late Robert L. "Bob" Sturdivant who was mayor of Madison for a number of years. Mrs. Sturdivant is the daughter of the James C. Gormley who was a Depot agent and City Clerk.