318 Church Street - True Home
Backstory and Context
Caudis H. Tribble and Ozelle Hereford were married in Madison County in 1924. Their house in Madison is recorded in the tax records as having been constructed in 1939. When Gladys McFarlen True and her husband "Pud" moved to Madison, the couples became close friends. After a year of renting rooms in a house on Front Street, Gladys wanted to live next door to Ozelle, and the feeling was mutual. The Tribbles gave the Trues a deed to the corner lot beside them without a penny being paid.
Still, Gladys and Pud paid their friends for the lot within a year. · They built the house shown below within a year and their house payment was $29.50 per month. The Trues owned and operated a grocery store at 208 Main (now Bandito Burrito) for over 30 years, remaining lifelong friends with the Tribbles.
You may have noticed that the sidewalk ends two houses down from the True House. When the True and Tribble homes were constructed, these homes were outside the city limits and thus did not include sidewalks!