Parker House Ranching Museum
The Parker House is one of Odessa's most well-known landmarks.
Backstory and Context
James Parker (1876-1954) purchased his first property in Ector County (it was two sections, one in Ector County and the other in Andrews County) in 1907. He married his wife, Bessie, the next year and they would eventually have six children. Over time, James acquired more land and raised Hereford cattle. When he bought the ranching house, it was located on a large 1290-acre property. Jim used the house as his headquarters. His room was on the first floor, which allowed him to leave the house quietly in the morning. The Parkers were known for their responsible stewardship of the land and community service. In addition to ranching, Jim helped organize Andrew County and banking in the county as well.
"Odessa: Parker House Ranching Museum." Texas Pecos Trail Region, Texas Historical Commission. Accessed October 30, 2019. https://texaspecostrail.com/plan-your-adventure/historic-sites-and-cities/sites/parker-house-ranching-museum.
"The Parker Family." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed October 30, 2019. https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=86813.
The Historical Marker Database