Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church
The old Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church was built in 1891 and is now home to Aspire Boutique.
Backstory and Context
As noted above, the church was originally built in 1891 and appears to have been expanded slightly in 1907. The Lutheran congregation itself was organized in 1889 by Finnish missionary Reverend Henry Tanner. They first worshipped in a Methodist Church and temperance hall before deciding to build the church. The building features three lancet-arched windows on each side and belfry at the front. The church was one of three Finnish Lutheran churches in Lead but is the only to have survived to today (the congregation built a new church in 1963). The current location of the church is not the original; it was moved here when the new church was built in 1963.
"Old Finnish Lutheran Church." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 13, 1985. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/c121a135-1eaa-4e7e-bc94-90a16d12875e.
"Our Story." Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church. Accessed November 10, 2019. https://leadshepherd.org/about-us/our-story.
Portal, Alex. "Aspire Boutique moves into Old Finnish Church in Lead." May 31, 2018. https://www.bhpioneer.com/local_news/aspire-boutique-moves-into-old-finnish-church-in-lead/article_2db4191c-64ea-11e8-8bea-273b6cf21d96.html.