Sturgis Motorcycle Museum & Hall of Fame
Backstory and Context
The origins of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally date back to 1938 when a local motorcycle club called the Jackpine Gypsies held the first rally, which featured just one a race called the "Black Hills Classic." The club itself was founded by Clarence "Pappy" Hoel, who passed away in 1989. Over time, the rally grew and eventually included hill climb and motorcross races. Except during World War II, the rally has taken place every year since 1938. Today, it is one of the biggest motorcycle rallies in the world, attracting hundreds of thousands of people each year. The museum was established in 2001 and is located at the intersection of Junction Ave. and Main Street.
Buttrell, Josh. "Motorcycles at the Museum." Sturgis Motorcycle Museum Magazine. 2019. Pages 49-51.
Heinrich, Aaron. "Sturgis Motorcycle Museum and Hall of Fame – a low-tech way to see two-wheeled history." August 12, 2016. https://newatlas.com/sturgis-motorcycle-museum-hall-of-fame/44706.
"Timeline." Surgis Motorcycle Rally. Accessed November 13, 2019. https://sturgismotorcyclerally.com/timeline.
Samuel J Greear, via Visit Sturgis