Holy Trinity Catholic Church
Backstory and Context
Catholicism first reached northwest Louisiana in 1717 when a Franciscan missionary founded the Mission of San Miguel de Linares and likely built the first Catholic church in the state. Over the next century and half, Catholicism expanded in the state. Here in Caddo Parish, French and Spanish missionaries served the early settlers in the area. One of these missionaries, Father John Pierre, supervised the building of the first Holy Trinity Church in 1857, which was a wood-frame structure. The next year, the second church was built and this time it was a brick building. The congregation grew steadily in the coming years, prompting the eventual construction of the present church building in 1899.
"Holy Trinity Catholic Church: History." Holy Trinity Catholic Church. Accessed December 28, 2019. https://www.holytrinity-shreveport.com/history.html.
National Register Staff. "Holy Trinity Catholic Church." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. September 27, 1984. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/aee7a76c-7360-4fa4-a874-9c6855ac60c8.
Michael Barera, via Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Holy_Trinity_Catholic_Church_(Shreveport,_Louisiana)