A picture of the gun
Backstory and Context
This gun was made by France in 1917, however in 1940 when the Germans beat France, The Germans decided to take it and bring it to Guernsey.
In 1997, some people decided to excavate all the bunkers in Guernsey. They escavated approximately 1000 tons of dirt and the bunkers were intact. It was discovered that the gun was dumped into the sea in Jersey and that the blueprints were at Centre d’Archives de l’Armement in Chatellerault. Some parts are still being restored to this day. This site is open on some Sundays in the summer.
The gun is right in the middle of the battery. There are 10 rooms on the wall of where the gun is and multiple tunnels from the gun room. In these tunnels there are a metal camouflage mesh on the roof and one of them goes underground! It is thought that the 10 rooms were used for ammunition storage and the underground part is quite big.