Though most colonists lived in communal settings, like Big Brick or the ground floor of the Colony Church, there were only a few private homes. Because they worked, ate and worshipped in common these original houses had no kitchen or dining room. When the colony dissolved Eric Krans received this house and a portion of the blacksmith shop as his share. Eric was the brother of the famous painter Olof Krans and father of the livery man Albert Krans. The house was later sold to Lars Soderquist and has been owned by just three families since it was built. The addition was added in the 1870’s. (Private Residence)
Official Walking Tour Bishop Hill Illinois Guidebook to Buildings, 2010.
Wheat Flour Messiah, Eric Jansson of Bishop Hill by Paul Elmen Southern Illinois University Press 1997
History of Bishop Hill, A Story of Swedish Pioneers Collected and Compiled by Theo J. Anderson, self-published.