Scottish Rite Temple
Erected in 1917, the Scottish Rite Temple is one of the most architecturally striking buildings in Shreveport.
Backstory and Context
The temple was built by the local chapter of the Scottish Rite Freemasons, a fraternal (male) social and philanthropic organization that was established in England in the 18th century. Here in Shreveport, a group of Scottish Rite members met for the first time in 1910 at another temple located on the corner of Market and Travis Streets. In 1912, they started to plan for the construction of the current building and the work got underway in 1915. The building features many original light fixtures, furnishings, and 92 hand-painted stage backdrops. Another highlight is the Pilcher and Sons Pipe Organ, which is still used today. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
"The History of the Shreveport Scottish Rite Valley." Shreveport Scottish Rite. Accessed January 1, 2019. http://shreveportscottishrite.com/history.
National Register of Historic Places. "Scottish Rite Cathedral." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 06, 1986. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/5ccc0753-1b1c-4c6d-be20-2e95b824431e.
Michael Barera, via Wikimedia Commons