Westchester Revolutionary War Sites
A history tour of Revolutionary War sites in Westchester County
The Jacob Purdy House was used by President George Washington as his headquarters twice, in 1776 and 1778, during the Revolutionary War. The Purdy House is believed to be the oldest residence in the city of White Plains.
This colonial-era farmhouse is one of the last remaining 18th-century buildings in White Plains. As an important landmark in the events of the 1776 Battle of White Plains, the Miller House was the home of Ann Fisher Miller, widow of a Westchester Militiaman named Elijah Miller. Generations of tradition surround the colonial farmhouse and it has become an important cultural feature in the North White Plains/North Castle area. The house is owned by Westchester County and offers public programs.
From 1693 to 1779 all of the present towns of Greenburgh, Mount Pleasant and Ossining, as well as the City of Yonkers, were part of Philipsburg Manor, which had been granted the Philipse family through a royal charter. The manor featured hundreds of tenant farms, one of which was leased by the Hammond family. Comprising 242 acres, the farm included a house that was built by William Hammond in 1719. When the tenant farms were auctioned by New York State in 1785, the Hammond family purchased their farm, and resided on the property for at least three more generations. Operated by the Westchester County Historical Society as a museum for many years and now privately owned, the Hammond House is an excellent example of a Colonial tenant farmhouse.
Constructed in 1732, the Odell House or Rochambeau Headquarters, served as French headquarters for a unit of five thousand men during the Revolutionary War. While the structure itself has no outstandingly architectural features, the stories of its residents, and its use by the Count Rochambeau during the war for independence gives this small home immense historical meaning.
Patriots Park, located in Tarrytown, New York, is a recreational site with walkways, picnic areas, and a playground. This location has a historical monument called the Captors Monument which commemorates the capture of the British spy Major John Andre on this spot in 1780 by three militiamen, John Paulding, Isaac Van Wart and David Williams.