Victoria Drive School (site of)
All that remains of Victoria Drive School is the stone posts at either corner of Birchfield Drive and Larchfield Avenue which serve as a reminder that schools were built with separate entrances and playgrounds for girls and boys
Victoria Drive School
Backstory and Context
Victoria Drive Higher Grade Public School was opened on 31 August 1909. The three story building cost £19,537 and provided accommodation for 1,200 pupils in 23 classrooms. The ground floor was for infants, the first floor for juniors and the second floor for higher grade pupils. An annexe to the school was built in the mid-1930s at the corner of Danes Drive and Queen Victoria Drive, and additional accommodation was added to the rear of the building in Queen Victoria Drive in the 1960s.
During the Second World War a barrage balloon was situated in Raploch Avenue where part of the school playground was located at the time.
Malcolm, SAndra. Old SCOTSTOUN & WHITEINCH, Accessed February 23rd 2021.