This Queen Anne style home, now a museum, is a prominent landmark in Superior, Wisconsin. It was built in 1891 for Martin Pattison and his family at a cost of three million dollars in today's numbers. Prominent exterior features include the four-story turret and the widow's watch. The interior features gilded murals, a grand entrance hall, an open staircase, marble and tile fireplace, and stained glass windows. The first floor has been restored. The master's bedroom is located on the second floor and the third floor is dedicated to the period between 1920-1968 when the mansion was a Children's Home.
The Old Firehouse and Police Museum in Superior, Wisconsin is housed in a former fire station built in 1898. It was the last station built in Superior during the 19th century. Admission is free and visitors can expect to spend about 45 minutes there. The museum features fire fighting equipment and memorabilia. It also houses several rigs such as a Fire Chief’s nineteenth century horse-drawn buggy, a 1906 Ahrens Steam Pumper, a 1919 LaFrance Ladder Truck, and a 1944 L Model Mack with a Hale pump. The first floor houses these rigs. The second floor shows the development and improvement of fire fighting equipment, police and fire memorabilia, and it also houses the State of Wisconsin Police and Fire Hall of Fame.
The historic Duluth Public Library building, or Carnegie Building, opened in 1902 after Andrew Carnegie donated $75,000 (nearly $2 million in terms of 2020 dollars) to the cause. The library in Duluth started as nothing more than a small reading room in 1869 before moving several times before moving into its own building in '02. The library remained in the historic structure until 1980 and since then has undergone several renovations and changed ownership; it mainly functions as a home to offices.
The SS Meteor is the last remaining ship of the "whaleback" design, which was pioneered by captain Alexander McDougall. The hulls of whaleback ships were long and rounded, resembling a whale. The Meteor was constructed in 1896 in Superior and sailed the Great Lakes until 1969. She and other whalebacks were designed to ship large quantities of cargo. In the Meteor's case, she transported coal, grain, sand, gravel, and gas during her lifetime. She had three names during her lifetime, the last one, meteor, was given by the Cleveland Tanker Company. In 1969 she ran aground and damaged the hull and the company did not want to repair the old ship. She was transported to Superior in 1971 to become a museum and rests on Barker Island. She was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Visitors can go on tours inside the ship and view exhibits on Great Lakes shipwrecks and learn about the history of shipbuilding.
Sacred Heart Cathedral, now Sacred Heard Music Center, was built in 1896 and served as a Roman Catholic church until 1985. It is one the remaining Neo-gothic revival style churches in Minnesota. It is famous for its Felgemaker organ which was installed in 1898. The cathedral and the Cathedral School, which is across the street, were named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The Christian Brothers Home, built in 1907 and located directly adjacent to the school, was added to the same registry listing in 2005 which is now titled: Sacred Heart Cathedral, Sacred Heart School and Christian Brothers Home. The Sacred Heart Music Center hosts 12-15 concerts per year and seats 400 people. Regional and international artists perform in the venue, which also has a state-of-the-art recording studio. The center is also hosts weddings, receptions, business meetings, private parties, and is also a teaching space for members of the community, schools, and organizations.
The Banfill–Locke House in Fridley, Minnesota stands on the east bank of the Mississippi River. The property has been used as many things since its original construction in the 1840s, including a tavern, a dairy farm, a private home, and an art gallery. Currently the Banfill-Locke Center for the Arts uses the facility in support of established and developing artists by hosting speakers, classes, and residents in addition to gallery space. As of 2017, both the interior and exterior of the home remain essentially unaltered. The interior consists of a large communal room on the first floor that contains an entryway, dining room, living room, kitchen, and service room. Seven inter-connected rooms make up the second floor. The entire structure lacks any form of modern central heating. Instead, stoves feeding into three chimneys provide warmth.
This large home is the historic Nehemiah P. Clarke House, which was built in 1893 by prominent local lumberman and banker Nehemiah P. Clarke. It is a beautiful example of Queen Anne architecture, featuring a red-brick facade, an octagonal corner tower, and a front veranda with a carriage porch (originally, this allowed people to get out of carriages and not touch the ground). Other features include stained glass windows, elaborate interior woodwork, and four fireplaces, only one of which still works. The house, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, is a private home but can be admired from the street.
Fort Bon Secours is a battle site of the French and Indian War. The site was founded by Nicolas Perrot. The Fort was occupied for four or five years. It was then abandoned. Another fort was created using the same name, but also lived a short life of being occupied for only four to five years. The location of the original Fort Bon Secours is now a tourist location of French life during the time of the French and Indian War.
The Museum is open for tours from May-October and December (prior to Christmas). In addition to the gracious, restored house with Victorian era furnishings, the museum complex includes the Garden House with its 19th century life, domestic arts, carpenter, Blacksmith, and general store tableaux; and the Carriage House, which includes the Museum Gift Shop and Research Center. All structures are set amid expansive, beautifully maintained gardens.
The Gateway Arch is a monument to western expansion and is the centerpiece of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial which pays tribute to the Louisiana Purchase. Intended to revitalize the crumbling St. Louis riverfront, city boosters envisioned a memorial park and monument as early as 1933. Construction began in 1963 and the arch was completed in 1965. At 630 feet, the Gateway Arch is the tallest man-made monument in the United States. It is also the world's tallest arch.