Longview Mansion is a large former farm estate built in 1914 by wealthy developer, lumberman and philanthropist Robert A. Long (1850-1934). The mansion, and its dozens of other structures, were completed after 18 months of construction. The buildings were designed in the Spanish/Mission Revival style. The mansion features 48 rooms (14 of which are bedrooms), 10 bathrooms, and 6 fireplaces. The building project and short timeline were so big that Long hired 2,000 workers including 50 Belgian craftsmen and 200 Sicilian stonemasons. The estate was 1,780 acres in size and was dubbed the "World's Most Beautiful Farm." It even had its own horse race track (Long was an avid horseman). It was also notable around the country for being fully self-sufficient. It produced its own food, electricity, and heating, and also had its own water and telephone systems. To maintain and operate the farm, Long hired a number of workers in various trades including carpenters and plumbers. In addition, Longview had its own police and fire departments, a hotel for men, housing for employees, a church, and a community newspaper. The estate was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. Today, the mansion is an event venue and is often open for tours.
The Rice-Tremonti Home has stood at this location for over 175 years and serves both as a historical site and a physical reminder of several milestones in US history. Pioneering travelers along the Santa Fe Trail passed by the home while enslaved African Americans worked its acreage. The property managed to escape the fate of many other homes that were burned to the ground during the Civil War, and today, it stands as the oldest remaining home in Jackson County. The property is managed by Friends of the Rice-Tremonti House, a dedicated team of volunteers who are committed to its preservation and restoration. Although the home is not open for regular visiting hours, tours are available upon request, and the property is available for rentals and holds special events throughout the year.
A crucial chapter in both the Second Battle of Independence (Oct. 22) and the Battle of Westport (Oct. 23), this historical marker shares the history of the two days of fighting at Byram's Ford, which is now part of Kansas City's Swope Park. The battle that occurred here was also a pivotal moment in Confederate General Sterling Price's cavalry raid through Missouri in 1864. Price first used the ford to move his men and slip away from Union General Samuel Curtis' formidable defenses, and the following day Union cavalry would smash through Price's rearguard and seal the trap that would annihilate his army in the ensuing week. The marker can be found by following the trail alongside Hardesty Avenue just a few hundred feet west. Walking tours, information, and exhibits are available from the nearby Battle of Westport Visitor Center & Museum, which is contained within Big Blue Battlefield Park.
Dedicated in 1961, this historical marker shares the pivotal moment in the Battle of Westport when General Pleasonton's forces made a successful assault on Confederate forces who had occupied this hill on the morning of October 23, 1864. After three hours of heavy fighting, Union forces took broke through Confederate lines. The Battle of Westport is widely regarded as the single most important battle of the Civil War that took place west of the Mississippi. The battle occurred in modern-day Kansas City from October 21-23, 1864, and the Confederate defeat battle was a turning point in the war in this region and marked the end of the Confederate threat in the West. As the largest battle in the West with over 30,000 combatants, the three-day battle resulted in about 1,500 deaths on each side. The scale, significance, and high casualties led to the Battle of Westport being known as the “Gettysburg of the West” among some historians.