My random selections
Close to home
Constructed in the 1890s, this Chateau-Romanesque home was designed by the firm of Eckel and Mann. Alfred Smith, a local shoe merchant, commissioned the home, but lost his fortune in the panic of 1893. His family never resided in the home which bears his name, but by 1920 802 Hall Street was the home of John J. Tootle, son of multi-millionaire Milton Tootle.
Tootle-Campbell Dry Goods, Co., formed in 1908 to replace the Tootle-Wheeler-Motter Dry Goods Co. (Which continued as Wheeler-Motter). In that year, the Tootles incorporated with the Campbell's to create a new wholesale distributorship and build a new 8-story building on the SW corner of 4th & Faraon which included a sewing factory where they manufactured overalls, shirts, duck coats, and pants.
Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006, Mount Mora Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in St. Joseph, Missouri. It was established in the early 1850s to meet the needs of a growing town. People buried here include three Missouri governors, musicians, Civil War officers from both the Union and the Confederacy, Pony Express riders, and governors. Though it was primarily used by the rich, there is a variety of graves from mausoleums to simple headstones, showing the wide range of people interred in the cemetery. The mausoleums, of which there are 30, are particularly notable. Resembling small buildings, their ornate design reflects Egyptian and Classical architecture and the wealth of the those within them.
Constructed in 1890 for banker J.W. McAlister, this home has had a long history and fascinating history. Though McAlister only lived in the home for a few decades, it became the home of clothier A.J. August for several years before being donated as a location for the St. Joseph Museum. The museum also only remained for a short time, fueling tales of hauntings that persist to this day.
NAtalie and Milton Tootle III lived at 119 N 19th Street. Milton III is Billy Tootle's older brother
Located in the former home of businessman William Albrecht and his wife, the Albrecht-Kempter Museum of Art is an important cultural arts center in the region. Opened in 1966, it houses one of the best collections of American art dating from the 18th-century to the present in the Midwest, including American landscape paintings, Colonial portraits, and American Impressionism works. Artists represented here include Gilbert Stuart, Thomas Hart Benton, Grant Wood, and Mary Cassatt. In addition, the museum offers changing exhibitions, various educational programs, and hosts performances.
In accordance to the will of Charles Noyes of the Noyes Norman Company, the Noyes Hospital was constructed at 2400 Frederick Ave in 1915. In 1955 the building was purchased by Anchor Serum to be used as their corporate offices. In 1968 the building became an apartment complex known as Frederick Towers.
Ashland was originally 2 separate cemeteries; Oakland and Ashland. Oakland was established in 1848, and Ashland was established in 1870. The two were joined in 1913. Notable interments are those of 2 pony express riders, Michael Whalen and John Phillip Koerner.
In 1848, St. Joseph began to grow rapidly as a jumping off point for those heading west to find gold and broader horizons. The influx of people created a diverse and rather cosmopolitan community in what had been little more than a backwater trading post. A relatively large community of Jewish immigrants from Germany arose. Before long they established the Jewish Burial Society which opened Adath Joseph Cemetery at 3155 Beck Road (the cemetery predated the synagogue by the same name). This cemetery served as the primary burial place for members of the German Jewish community of St. Joseph and so many of the most prosperous members of the St. Joseph Jewish community were buried here. It is currently the least used of the three Jewish cemeteries and is suffering from the effects of deferred maintenance.It is said that Adath Joseph cemetery is the oldest Jewish cemetery west of the Mississippi, with its first burial taking place in 1843. The cemetery served Temple Adath Joseph and the German Jewish population.
The Glore Psychiatric Museum was established in 1967 in St. Joseph, MO, by a long-time worker of the Missouri Department of Mental Health, George Glore. Once known as the State Lunatic Asylum no. 2, the museums hold exhibits of old treatment devices for the insane. Most of these treatments were ineffective because as a society, people were still trying to figure out how to treat mental health problems. The museum holds the history of the old asylum as a testament of how important, yet terribly ineffective we were at handling mental health.
For over 100 years, Mount Auburn Cemetery has provided families with a peaceful setting for their burial needs. With burial spaces to fit every family’s budget, Mount Auburn offer upright and flat marker sections for burial, as well as space for private family estates or mausoleums. The Veterans Field of Honor is special section reserved for veterans and their families.
In 1889, the Nave family was looking to construct a new home. Eckel and Mann secured the contract for the home to be constructed at the corner of 22nd and Clay in September of 1889 for $20,000. It was completed in October 1890 and published in American Architect on November 22, 1890.
Shaare Sholem is a Jewish cemetery primarily serving the Jewish community of eastern european descent. The oldest burials date back to the late 1890’s.In the late 1880s St. Joseph had a large influx of Jewish immigrants from Russia who were fleeing the anti-Semitic violence that was washing across Eastern Europe at that time. This conservative community quickly founded Shaare Sholem temple, and in the 1890s they established the Shaare Sholem cemetery. In 1919, the congregation purchased an additional tract of land with plans to expand the size of the cemetery; however, neighboring residents objected to the expansion and the debate became quite heated. In 1949, architect Eugene Meier released the sketches for the chapel which was dedicated as the David Friedman Chapel in 1963. This community flourished and grew in St. Joseph for several decades and as one walks through the well-kept grounds you see many familiar names on the stones. Though most of the members of St. Joseph’s once large Jewish community have left the city, some come back in death and many are buried at Shaare Sholem.
R.T. Davis was born in 1837 in southeastern Buchanan County, Missouri as one of the earliest families to settle the region. He began milling in 1866 and expanded into St. Joseph and conglomerated the local mills into one entity, the R.T. Davis Milling Company. His home at 319 North 20th Street was designed by Joseph H. Bennett in 1890 and is often referred to as the Aunt Jemima House.
Cloverly sat at the present site of Bishop Leblond High School, and was an enormous country home belonging to John J. Tootle. The home featured six Romanesque two story columns on each end and at the front, for a total of eighteen two story columns, twelve windows on the facade, and a porch that wrapped completely around its rectangular footprint. The mansion-style home was designed by E.J. Eckel, Architect, and built in 1899. The home & property was sold to the Catholic Church c. 1923 and operated as an orphanage until 1959. In the 1960s, the home was demolished and Bishop LeBlond High School was built on the site.